Kids

Kids
The reason I do what I do!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A split decision

In June of this last year so much changed in my life. It was not a status change, or a parenting change. It was a HEART change.

Our calendar for the summer was a challenge in early spring and we needed to make a decision on going on the summer mission trip and various camps for the kids. It worked out my middle daughter would go to camp in early June and the boys would do a scout camp at the end of the month.. But with how travel worked for the boys they would not be able to go on the mission trip we go on each summer. The girls wanted to go really bad as they missed the Navajo people. So I conceded that the girls & I would go this trip alone and the boys would go to scout camp. I hated the idea and it nagged at me all the way there.

It felt weird to be on the trip without my spouse and my son. I had not been without my husband for more than a day or two since he got out of the military, so 2 weeks was gonna be a lot. I decided to pray about our relationship and ask God to show me where I could help improve it and where I could change. 

Well  my 1st lesson: DO NOT ASK if you are not SERIOUS!!

My marriage was okay, but nothing to brag about. So I prayed where to start.... 2 days went by and God said the Song of Songs. OK this was going to be a stretch. I was already married for 20 years. This seemed like a juicy harlequin novel. It felt weird to read it, like I was a third person watching in a bedroom! 

All this time my daughter has started a relationship back home via texting a boy she had been an aquaitnce with for years. I thought maybe I was reading it for her/their benefit.

 But the very next day I read  John 21. Those crazy disciples were fishing and having no luck. They were out away from the people (probably hiding out) when Jesus appeared and said.... caught anything yet? No, was their response. He hollered back, TRY IT MY WAY. Throw your nets on the other side. DO IT MY WAY

 OKAY that came through LOUD & CLEAR. I was doing this marriage thing my way with God thrown in on the side. The wrong side.  I need to have God be back at the center and He would make my marriage like that juicy novel again.So the rest of the mission trip I read and prayed to be a more devoted wife who would humble before God then my husband.

I have seen God transform my heart and make non existent parts of my marriage bloom and grow. Through this we have become a better example for our children and  a much funner couple to be around.

So if you feel stuck, try casting your net God's way. He will give you the BEST CATCH for your life. IT WORKED FOR ME!







No comments:

Post a Comment